Today it is essential to have a pair of football cleats if you are thinking of professional football right from day one. Football cleats are designed to withstand constant battering that comes with football, while at the same time, offering protection to the feet, especially the heels, toes, and ankles at times. Most sports brands have their own line of football cleats in many variants, offering professionals a variety of models to choose from.
Some brands come out with updated versions of the same model, thus if the model has had a good acceptance among the public, the updated version is likely to be bought as well. Manufacturers must take care that the new version upholds the model’s popularity, and does not let it down.
What are the notable features of prevailing professional football cleats?
· Stud patterns to suit different playing surfaces. FG Boots for Firm Ground, SG boots for Soft Ground and AG Boots for Artificial Ground – turf, all these have differing stud patterns. Using them on the wrong surface causes grave injuries and threaten a professional’s career. Generally, it is bigger studs if you are playing on grass and smaller studs if you are running on artificial turf.
· Mix stud patterns – like an SG/FG mix which can be used on both surfaces also called mixed soleplates. (This is where the studs are attached) These are not recommended however. It is better to buy 2 cheaper pairs of cleats for different surfaces.
· Flexible soleplate and thin material as uppers for you to feel the ball, but still protect your feet. Kangaroo leather is still popular among many players, but synthetic material has made great advances, trying to create the light feel, yet offer breathability and protection as well.
· A Collar to fit the ankle, which offers protection as well as a secure ‘locked-in’ feeling it gives to the player.
· Great strides in developing new upper material consisting of polyester fabric and yarn in a knit construction, which can be made into an upper seamlessly covering the entire upper area of the shoe, the knit varying from more open knit for areas where flexibility is required and more closed and tight where protection is needed.
· Bright colors and patterns never seen before. It seems that viewing football has come to mean viewing the footwork of these champions, because you cannot take your eyes off the fluorescent hues of their football cleats!
· Warranties – Most football cleats manufacturers stand behind their products and have toll free helplines to register your complaints. They also offer warranties to safeguard against any manufacturing defect.
· Ease of buying – You can buy your football cleats from the company website, or from online retailers. It is better to check with online retailers having a range you can choose from, of different manufacturers and brands. They offer periodic discounts when the shoes outlive the season of manufacture. You can also visit the company retail store or an authorized retailer’s store.